Duration and contents of this course will depend on your needs as an organisation in regards to service user group and environment.
Our training courses are designed specifically to your needs, and we only deliver the physical intervention skills that you require to be able to maintain a safe and therapeutic environment for all.
This is a competency-based course and participants will be continuously assessed throughout the duration and will need to achieve a pass in all areas to receive a certificate of competency.
Delivered at your premises (if appropriate) or we can find an alternative venue
- LOW risk environment = 1-2 days training
- MEDIUM risk environment = 1-3 days training
- HIGH risk environment = 1-4 days training
AIM/outline of the course
To prepare the participant to be an effective member of a safe and therapeutic physical intervention team as required in the event of a violent episode in the workplace.
Participants must demonstrate an understanding and a required level of competency and consistency in the following areas:
- The factors which may influence aggressive and challenging type behaviour
- Models of verbal intervention/communication (de-escalation strategies)
- Risk assessment and management for individual, situational and environmental aspects
- The need to use all possible alternatives other than physical intervention wherever possible
- The legal implications surrounding the use of force and physical intervention
- The risks associated with restraint
- The importance of professional approach, attitude and self control
- The ability to clearly communicate with the individual and team during episodes of physical intervention
- The ability to perform physical intervention techniques as supported by the GSA
- The ability to work as an effective team member in a physical management scenario
- Recording and reporting of incidents in relation to a physical intervention
Our courses include:
- Legal/ethical issues regarding use of force
- Personal safety
- Cultural awareness and associated risks with physical interventions
- Friendly come along (all levels)
- Figure of four holds
- Roles within restraint
- Inverted arrow head formation
- Team interventions ( level 1,level 2 and upper limb wraps)
- Supported decent to the floor in supine position
- Transfer of holds to standing
- De-escalation in supine
- Securing the legs in supine
- De-escalation in chairs
- Trouble drills
- Decent to the floor in a prone position
- De-escalation in prone
- Standing from prone
- Securing the legs in prone
- Turning from prone to supine
- Separating two fighting
- Stair work
- Relocating through doorways
- Room entries
- Safe exits
- And more depending on needs
All participant must complete a health declaration/checklist before the commencement of the course due to the physical skills and practical elements
Suitable clothing is advised, e.g. tracksuit bottoms, t-shirt and trainers.
You may be asked to leave if your attire is not suitable.
Please contact us for more information and to discuss your training needs.